What's New (last updated
February 11, 2003)
The Convention is Over...
... but the web page lingers on. For a link to this year's convention, see
Over 100 official photos from OryCon 24, taken by
Matthew Picio, are available
on his server:
- What: OryCon 24, Portland's premiere science fiction convention
- When: November 22-24, 2002 (NOT the usual Veteran's Day weekend!)
- Where: The Doubletree Hotel Portland Columbia River in
- OryCon 24 will be a weaponless convention.
Smoking will be allowed in designated areas only.
OryCon offers programming, workshops, small group discussions, an
a dealers' room, filking, dances, gaming, a masked ball, the
Susan Petrey Scholarship auction,
and much more!
The theme of this year's convention is "Meeting the Challenge."
30 years ago this year, we stopped sending people to the moon. Today we
lob million-dollar slabs of metal through space to crash into Mars.
Would you contact us if you were an alien?
Guests of Honor
- Memberships in OryCon 24 cost $50. The preregistration
deadline has passed; memberships are now only available at the door.
Registration for new memberships will open at 10am Friday.
- Children age 6-12 are half price. Children 5 and under are
free. Children must be accompanied by an adult with a membership.
Child care is available.
- To transfer a membership, send a signed letter to the
convention PO box (below) with the new member's name and address.
- A $5 handling fee will be charged for membership refunds.
- Because of space limitations at the hotel, memberships will be
limited to a total of 1600. Once we've sold that many, we'll start
turning people away at the door. So get your memberships early!
- If you're wondering if you have your membership yet, you can
search our current membership list.
- Our hotel is the Doubletree Hotel Portland Columbia River.
- The room rate is $92 (plus tax) per night, for up to four
people in a room; each additional person adds $15 for rollaways. If you
specifically ask for a river-view room you'll pay $15 extra.
- The Interstate Wing is designated as the party wing.
If you plan to hold a party, you need to make sure your room is
reserved there. As before, the hotel will charge a $100 deposit against
damage/cleaning for open parties (they do this for all groups, not
just OryCon). To date, however, all such deposits have been completely
refunded and the hotel has been very happy with us. Open parties also
need to be registered in the convention office, so that we can coordinate
with the hotel and help you get needed trash bags and cleaning supplies
from the hotel.
- The best way to book a room is to call the hotel directly at
- You can also book your room through the hotel's web site,
using the "Group Code" OCN for OryCon Non-party or OCP
for OryCon Party.
- If you have any problems with the hotel, please contact Melanie
Schaber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programming and Events
- Click here for a list of our confirmed
- The Program Schedule is
available in HTML.
- An Index to Program Participants is also
- You can also download PDB, MPA, DOC, or CSV
files of the program and gaming schedule for your handheld device
or other computer.
- Read our Director of Programming's rant
about this year's program.
- The Gaming Schedule Grid,
Game Descriptions, and
Gaming Table Layout are now available,
as well as a list of
Changes from the original schedule.
- The Endeavour Award
will be presented at OryCon once again this year, and there will be a
"meet the pros banquet" after the awards ceremony.
- The Susan Petrey Scholarship
Fund will be having its usual fund-raising auction. If you have
any items to donate, please contact Paul Wrigley and Debbie Cross at
- We will be having a Masked Ball rather than a masquerade
this year. For information, please contact Karyn Hoffert at
and Melissa Householder at
- If you have any other Programming questions or comments, please
contact Helen Umberger at
Buy T-shirts, tote bags, and other stuff with the OryCon 24
"mission patch" logo here.
For More Information
- Email: email@example.com
- Postal: OryCon 24, PO Box 5703, Portland, Oregon 97228-5703
- Telephone: 503-422-6574
- Individual committee members can be contacted through the
- Information on upcoming committee meetings and other important
dates can be found on the Convention
OryCon 24 is a production of Oregon
Science Fiction Conventions, Inc. (OSFCI), a non-profit,
This page created and maintained by David D. Levine,
Return to the OryCon Home Page.